Monday, January 5, 2015

just sharing an old body of work

****the Gallery that I had this show in back in 2010 has closed and she is getting ready to take down the website so I wanted to keep this here in my blog.  2010 seems like a long, long time ago now that I look at this show.  I enjoyed it that is for sure.  Sarah Adams (gallery owner) was so laid back and a joy to work with.  All the pieces are sold. 
 
 
Jenny Elkins -- Show February/March 2010
 
 


























 
"Strumpets and Squares" -- New works by Jenny Elkins

Showing at AV Framing Gallery February 5 - March 20, 2010.

Artist Statement:
I feel that life can be hard enough and I only make art (or craft as some may call it) that is light, happy and is garnished with a twist of wit. Even though sometimes there is definitely a message in my work, it is still done with a sense of humor. I have been collecting these antique cabinet card photographs for many years.

I have always enjoyed making collages and working with found objects. It felt natural for me, like “breathing”. I have been making art for so long that if I don’t enjoy making something I just won’t do it. It has to be fun and it’s the process I like the most, the process of gathering and hunting just the right photograph, papers and supplies, not to mention the thought process of how it will all come together. I may not start the actual physical work on a project immediately, but it doesn’t mean I am not thinking about how it is all going to come together.

I used all the skills that we all learned when we were young on this body of work. Cut papers, chalk, glue, tape, beeswax and paint were used in the creation of these pieces. I spent many hours cutting, taping and dotting everything you see, and I have enjoyed every minute of it.

No comments: