Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy 2010 !

2009 was a year of incredible change. Discovery. Challanges. Hope and (even) Sadness.
I am thankful right now that Ed is not sick. My favorite Marine is home safe. That I am blessed with so many friends. My Mother who is always so helpful. Thankful that we (ed&I)have plans for 2010 that will hopefully allow us to move on. I am going to continue to be open to change and opportunities. I am thankful for the Cafes, Restaurants, Galleries, shops, salons and shows that I have been a part of in 2009. I do have to be honest 2009 has been a hard year for many artists like myself. The economy has been a real issue. We also compete with artists and craftspeople who are fully employed that are doing this on the side for extra money. A few fairs have ended after 35 plus years. We are competing with thousands of other artists for one space at art fairs due to the modernization of applying for shows (Zapplication) and all these factors are just making it harder and harder to make a living as an artist. I will survive. Somehow. I will work differently and continue to be open to whatever comes my way. My first goal is to load up my etsy store http://www.jennyelkins.etsy.com/ with work and vintage items so I don't have to load the car (as much) or rent a space or drive far. I will go back to basics hosting some open houses where I live. I will always create. Making things is such a big part of who I am. If you get nothing else from this post please understand how important it is to support local artists, restaurants, hardware stores, musicians, etc....that is what makes our lives so much more interesting. The sadness I mentioned early on is for the losses we all experience during a year. Friendships that fade away, Freinds and family that are struggling so hard to remain healthy or to recover. I hope that 2010 is a year to remember for all the good that will come from it. Happy New Year!

No comments: